Throughout the years, Friends of Sheba Medical Center has shown incredible dedication to the innovative and integrated medical care that Sheba Medical Center provides to each and every patient. Our partnership helps Sheba to deliver the highest standards of medicine, research and technology – benefitting Israel and the entire world.
On Mother’s Day 1970, the idea for the Los Angeles-based Guardians of Courage was born in the home of Charlotte and Sam Sinay. The Guardians of Courage dedicated itself to providing Army Hospital No.5, later known as Tel Hashomer with gifts of life saving medical equipment.
Army Hospital No.5 is what remained following the British withdrawal from Israel in 1948. Its first patients were members of the Israel Defense Forces and civilians wounded during the War of Independence. Professor Chaim Sheba, who at the time was the General Surgeon of the Israeli army took over the management of the hospital from the beginning and stayed with it until his death in 1971.
It wasn’t until 1971, where the name of the hospital was changed to the “Chaim Sheba Medical Center” in tribute to the great physician who founded it. Since then, the Guardians of Courage have been the backbone of the compassionate work at Sheba Medical Center leading to the success of new initiatives such as the Max Zimmer Cardiac Outpatient Clinic in 1984 and the Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Research Institute in 1992.
The Guardians of Courage honored Sheba Medical Center in 1993 by changing its name to Friends of Sheba Medical Center. Today, Friends of Sheba Medical Center continues the vision of Charlotte and Sam Sinay in supporting the largest and most comprehensive medical facility in the Middle East.
Literally from womb to tomb, pre-natal to geriatrics, Chaim Sheba Medical Center has been Israel’s pace-setter in medical research, education and treatment. Together, at Friends of Sheba we are part of a larger family, fighting to treat others with peace, kindness and respect to all.