Female soldier remains in critical condition after stabbing

Victim transferred to Sheba Hospital for surgery after Sunday attack in Kibbutz Gan Shmuel left her fighting for her life

October 12, 2015, 8:24 am
Police inspect the scene of the stabbing attack on route 65 near Kibbutz Gan Shmuel, October 11, 2015. (Flash90)
Police inspect the scene of the stabbing attack on route 65 near Kibbutz Gan Shmuel, October 11, 2015. (Flash90)

A 19-year-old soldier critically injured in a stabbing attack Sunday remained in life-threatening condition Monday morning, hospital officials said.

The female soldier, whose name has not been released for publication, was moved overnight to Sheba Hospital at Tel Hashomer near Tel Aviv, known for its neurological department and neurosurgery ward, after suffering stab wounds to the head and upper torso in the terror attack.

She had initially been taken to Hadera’s Hillel Yaffe Medical Center in Hadera — the nearest hospital to the site of the stabbing along a highway next to the town of Gan Shmuel.

The soldier was sedated and receiving ventilation and was expected to go into surgery Monday morning, the Walla news site reported.

The woman was one of four Israelis wounded Sunday evening in a knife attack on Route 65 at the entrance to the kibbutz of Gan Shmuel, near the northern city of Hadera.

The terrorist, a 20-year-old Israeli Arab from Umm al-Fahm, was arrested by police at the scene.

The other three victims suffered light to moderate wounds in the attack and were being treated at Hillel Yaffe Hospital.

The Shin Bet identified the suspect in the attack as Alaa Raed Ahmad Ziwad of Umm al-Fahm, originally from the Palestinian village of Silat al-Harithiya.

He received Israeli citizenship through his father via the family unification law, which grants rights to Palestinians married to Israeli Arabs.

According to Army Radio, the attacker first ran over the 19-year-old woman, before getting out of the car and stabbing her and the three other victims.

Two other victims, a 14-year-old girl with moderate wounds and a 20-year-old man who was lightly hurt, both arrived at the hospital on their own. A 45-year-old man also sustained hand wounds in the attack.

Scroll Up